Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Philadelphia Association of Black Journalist memorial

I've reprinted the text below, but you should go to the original website, which includes a slide show and other links http://pabj.blogspot.com/

PABJ is mourning, and remembering the proud spirit, ingenuity, and legacy of Mal Johnson, who passed away last month at the age of 85. Mal was one of the original founders of the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists, and like many of her group, later help to found the National Association of Black Journalists. Although Mal worked and lived in Washington D.C. during her later years, many of our members will have memories of her from our 2006 Banquet from our 2006 Banquet, where she received a PABJ Trailblazer Award.

PABJ President Monique Oliver shared her memories upon learning of her passing. "Mal was a wonderful person and a 2006 PABJ Trailblazer. She taught me a few things about broadcasting while I talked with her in preparation for the 2006 banquet. I am glad to have known her." Her feelings were shared by PABJ Parliamentarian Melanie Burney, "I'm so glad that we honored her when we did. I wish I had spent more time with her.". I'm sure many of PABJ's membership feels the same. As Monique and Melanie already have, please share your memories of Mal by leaving a personal message or memory about Mal in the comments section.

We'll share some of the best of these at November's meeting.

No comments: