Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"Mal Johnson, Boss and Friend"

Now, this is a wonderful memoir about Mal on a blog written by her former assistant. I'll just excerpt a part of it - go read the rest of it - the link is here: http://dailysally.blogspot.com/2007/11/mal-johnson-boss-and-friend.html
I worked as Mal's assistant at WKBS TV in Philly while still an Annenberg student. It was such a small station, we did everything. Reporting, directing, research, commercials, voice-overs, writing, editing.

Mal was my teacher, my mentor, my role model. I was a young white girl but I never thought of Mal as a "black woman." She made no distinctions, fit no stereotype, drew no lines. She simply set high standards and expected us both to meet them. Together.

Mal Johnson was the kind of consummate professional who's a force of nature. A leader and a trailblazer. But here's the thing: I knew her when that part of her life was just beginning.

No comments: