Sunday, November 4, 2007

How Mal became a feminist (by Johanna from Finland)

Mal Johnson was one of the most courageous people I have ever met. She was – and continues to be – incredible inspiration to me.

She told me a story from the time she became a widow. After her husband died, she found herself stranded as she could not drive. “That’s when I became a feminist,” she said. She decided to teach herself. She would take the car out at 3 a.m. when the streets were empty to practice driving all by herself. When she went to take her driving test, the inspector asked where her driver was – you were not allowed to drive yourself. Mal said, “Oh, he is just there behind the corner.”

She would never be stopped by anything. Until now.


Mal was awarded with a 2006 Foremother Award, please see

http://www.center4research.org/foremothers2006.html

She kindly invited me. Her acceptance speech was incredible - I am still thinking if it would be proper to post it (as I can remember it) but she probably would not mind. It was about how she started her Washington career, covering the Hill....




My special thanks to Ingrid for introducing us.



Johanna

A friend from Finland

No comments: