Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A few lines about Mal from a colleague

This was on a web page all by itself, found through Google. It seems to be a reply to the NABJ obituary.

The adjectives describing Mal Johnson in your piece about her death made me smile. (tart-tongued, curmudgeon) I had the pleasure of working with Mal for 2 days as chaperones/mentors on a youth Journalism program in 1993, about 3 years after she retired from Cox. She told me some good stories of her scrapes with Richard Nixon. In 2 days of chats, she never even mentioned her work with NABJ--I had no idea. She truly was humble. I distinctly remember how she described her exit from Cox as White House correspondent. She said they told her they were moving in a different direction, and she leaned over to me and said, "the truth is, I think they didn't want any old ladies on the air any more!"

http://www.maynardije.org/news/discuss/prince_columns/00001173/printable/

No comments: